Transport Systems: Global Issues and Future Innovations
Discover how the transport sector can develop infrastructures that meet the needs of a 21st century population.
Explore how and why transport systems must change in the 21st century
What are the challenges faced by today’s transport sector? How can transport professionals develop systems that meet the needs of the 21st century?
Get answers to these questions and more with this course exploring the future of transport. You will learn about effective transport planning and modelling, considering how transport solutions can become sustainable, reduce pollution and improve the health and safety of people across the world.
You will also consider how technologies such as connected and autonomous vehicles and high-speed rail might address global issues.
What topics will you cover?
- The current state of transport.
- Challenges facing the transport sector.
- The changing nature of society and how transport is adapting.
- Designing highway infrastructure.
- Careers in the transport sector.
- The cost of transportation – vehicle noise, emissions and the effects on public health.
- The cost of transportation – maintaining infrastructure, energy and climate change.
- How engineering and technology can address some of the challenges facing the transport sector.
- Designing the transportation of the future.
Who is the course for?
This course is for undergraduate students and mid-career professionals interested in a career in the transport industry.
It will be especially useful for undergraduates studying engineering, urban planning, mathematics, economics, geography and psychology. It will also be useful for mid-career professionals already working in the transport sector or considering a move to the transport sector from other areas such as engineering, scientific research, local and national government policy-making, construction and logistics.