Get an introduction to technical report writing. Find out how to communicate your ideas through well-written engineering reports.
Join Email Learners
Follow the guide on landing page
Learn to communicate effectively through technical report writing
Technical reports are a vital tool for engineers to communicate their ideas. This online course introduces technical report writing and teaches the techniques you need to construct well-written engineering reports.
Each week, we’ll look at a key section of a technical report and the skills needed to write it. You’ll cover areas such as referencing and citations; presenting equations; diagrams and data; and using language and tenses correctly.
We’ll also talk to practising engineers, as well as students and educators who write and mark technical reports, who’ll give their hands-on advice.
- Why technical reports are important for communicating ideas and concepts
- The anatomy of a technical report
- How to write aims and objectives
- Citing and referencing
- Presenting equations and nomenclature
- Figures, diagrams and labelling
- Presenting data
- Units, precision and errors
- Use of language and tense
- How and why to write discussion sessions
- Writing an abstract
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for both student and professional engineers. It will teach you the technical report writing skills you need to tackle everything from a two-page document to a PhD thesis. As such, it will be applicable for the entirety of your engineering degree or career.