Prepare to become an experienced solo jazz piano player and go deeper into advanced jazz techniques and theories.
Join Email Learners
Follow the guide on landing page
Master scale and chord theory
Jazz is just as much about solo playing as it is about playing in a group, but both require very different skill sets. This more advanced jazz improvisation course will focus on solo jazz piano.
Gain confidence playing solo jazz
You’ll learn through a combination of theory and practice, delving into the challenges of playing solo piano, as well as analysing and playing two jazz standards.
You’ll then go more in depth into root position, otherwise known as playing solo. You’ll learn new techniques, and analyse and play three jazz standards.
Explore a range of beginnings and endings and advance your knowledge of scale theory
With the help of waltz vamp intros, you’ll focus on the devices used by jazz piano musicians for the beginning and ending of tunes.
You’ll explore scale theory, before learning about theIonian and melodic minor ascending scales.
Understand chord theory
You’ll finish the course with an examination of chord theory. You’ll look at how to re-harmonise a chord sequence and play and analyse some classic jazz piano tracks.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to apply your understanding of modulation devices, scale theory and chord theory to your solo playing. And feel equipped to play and improvise on jazz waltzes.
- Modulation and rhythmic phrases and application to the jazz standard “I Love You” and the blues “Straight No Chaser”
- Introduction to playing solo jazz piano and the jazz standards “You Took Advantage Of Me” and “Satin Doll”
- More on playing solo jazz piano and the jazz standards “In Your Own Sweet Way” and “How Deep Is The Ocean”
- The jazz waltz and the standards “Someday My Prince Will Come”, “All Blues” and “It’s A Raggy Waltz”
- Scale theory and application to the tunes “Blackbird” and the jazz standards “Solar” and “Stella By Starlight”
- Chord Theory and application to the jazz standards “Stella By Starlight” and “On Green Dolphin Street”