Login / Register
Learn about what ethical issues arise in human-animal relationships, and how to think about such issues systematically. The course utilizes Manga as a study aid.
Join Other Email Learners
Follow the guide on landing page
About the course Introduction to Animal Ethics
Why do many of us who eat pigs condemn those who eat dogs? Is there any difference between lab mice and companion hamsters that justify the use of the former for drug tests? Our attitude toward animals is full of seeming inconsistencies and unexplained conventions. Animal ethics is the field that tries to make sense of human-animal relationships using insights from philosophical ethics, and this course is an introduction to the field.
This course has several distinctive characteristics from other animal ethics education materials. First, this course uses situations of animals in Japan as illustrative cases, which makes this course as a means to learn something about Japanese culture. Second, it also uses Manga to think about actual situations.
By listeningto the lectures and thinking through the issues presented, you will acquire the ability to think more clearly and systematically about human-animal relationships.
- Training of companion animals
- Neutering of companion animals
- Animal experimentation for cosmetics
- Eating farm animals
- Environmental enrichment in zoos
What you’ll learn from Introduction to Animal Ethics
Systematic thinking about ethical issues related to human-animal relationship
- Basic principles for the treatment of companion animals
- The idea of animal welfare and its application for animal experimentation
- Controversies over farm animals
- Controversies over zoo animals
- Philosophical debate over speciesism and animal rights
Week 1: Training of Companion Animals
- What is Animal Ethics?
- Companion Animals
- Problem Behaviors of Companion Animals
- Is it Egotistical to Make Animals Obey?
Week 2: Neutering of Companion Animals
- Background of Slaughtering System of Companion Animals in Japan
- The Current State of the Slaughtering System
- Neutering Companion Animals
- Pros and Cons of Neutering Animals
Week 3: Animal Experimentation for Cosmetics
- Current Status of Animal Testing in Japan
- The 3R movement
- Ban of Animal Testing for Cosmetics in Europe
- Are Animal Test Regulations Necessary?
Week 4: Eating farm animals
- Intensive Livestock Industry in Japan
- “Five Freedoms” of livestock animals
- Farm animals and lab animals: are they different?
- Does Being Thankful Mean We can Do Whatever We Want?
Week 5: Environmental Enrichment in Zoos
- Zoos in Japan
- Display Animals and Environmental Enrichment
- Animal Rights and Confinement of Animals
- Are Great Apes Different?
- Being Consistent about Treatment of Various Animals