Login / Register
Explore the role of football in the world today – including finances, clubs, nations and rivalries – with this free online course.
Join Other Email Learners
Follow the guide on landing page
About The Course
Explore the world of football (soccer), the money, the rivalries, the trends, the past, the present, the men’s game, the woman’s game and the real issues. Whether you love it, hate it or try to ignore it – join us as we go behind the scenes to examine why football is more than just a game.
From street soccer to multi-million dollar transfers, from the men’s game to the women’s, from the global to the local, from the beaches of Brazil to the fight against poverty this online course looks beyond the pitch, to explore football’s role in society and possibly a community near you.
- Introduction to early history, origins and myths about football
- Golden football moments
- The rise of global football, FIFA and the Big 5 Football Leagues
- Introduction to football finance and wealth
- Great football clubs, nations, rivalries and matches that changed the world
- Introduction to football data, trends and what it tells us
- Who are the world champions and what makes them champions?
- The rise, popularity and myths about women’s football
- Tackling inequality, homelessness and health through football
- Introduction to football governance, ownership and power
- What makes a great football team?
- Is football more than a game?
- Meet a football legend and their views on Brazil and the greatest footballer they played against
Who is the course for?
Is this course only for football experts and fans?
Not at all, everyone is welcome – anybody interested in football and its place in the world. We recommend a broad interest in football as a contemporary phenomenon – you will cover some of the top football clubs, grass-roots football projects, the FIFA World Cup, and the Homeless World Cup.
What resources will I need for this class?
All you need is internet access to join in the discussions and time to work through each week’s content.