Learn why bringing nature into cities is essential for future urban planning, and how to do it successfully.
Join Email Learners
Follow the guide on landing page
About This Course
There are many challenges facing cities today, including rapid population growth, climate change, extreme weather threats, food security, and the social and economic impact that these issues bring.
This course from RMIT will show you how effective urban nature can be in overcoming these challenges.
By the end of the two-week course, you’ll understand the evidence-based impact of bringing nature into cities and will be ready to apply the principle to your urban planning.
Understand the nature-based solutions that can be used for maximum social and environmental impact
In the first week of the course you’ll take a closer look at the types of nature-based solutions that are available.
You’ll also learn more about the effect biodiversity has on human health, and a city’s ability to resist extreme weather and climate change.
Learn how to implement nature-based solutions in your urban planning
Once you have a clear understanding of the positive environmental impact that biodiversity has on urban nature, you’ll explore the nature-based solutions that can create biodiversity.
You’ll also cover the need for capacity and resources, how to select the solution you’ll apply, and how citizens can be engaged in the process for maximum social impact.
Study urban nature principles with leading experts
Both educators on this course have years of experience and expertise, with their areas of interest including human behaviour’s role in conservation and urban biodiversity conservation.
What topics will you cover?
This course will answer the following questions:
- What are nature-based solutions in cities?
- What are the benefits of bringing nature into cities?
- How can nature-based solutions in cities be designed? What do these look like in practice?
- How can citizens be engaged in nature-based solution.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Interpret the environmental and social impact of nature-based solutions
- Investigate the evidence-based impact of building nature into cities
- Explore approaches to designing and delivering nature-based solutions to address urban challenges
- Identify how biodiversity impacts human health, wellbeing and environmental resilience
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for all city officials and urban planning professionals, including designers and developers, who want to make urban nature a top priority in their projects.
Originally posted 2021-12-28 07:41:01.