Understand religious radicalization and violence and learn strategies to build resilience in communities and schools.
Join Email Learners
Follow the guide on landing page
About This Course
Through this course, you will explore issues related to religiously attributed violent radicalization, learning how to build resilience within communities and schools.
You will examine terrorist events, their consequences, and the stories of the perpetrators. You will hear from key experts seeking to explain how people were driven to become radicalized and engage in terrorist violence. You will consider the definition of radicalization and what forms it takes. You will then get basic training in how to develop a community resilience program against radicalization and terrorism.
- Week 1
What is violent radicalization?
- Week 2
Drivers and dynamics of violent radicalization
- Week 3
Addressing violent radicalization through resilience
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. At every step of the course, you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Investigate current debates on violent religious radicalization
- Engage with different theoretical approaches that explain violent radicalization and identify its causes
- Explore the process through which a young person can be drawn into a spiral of violent radicalization and extremism
- Discuss what is resilience and how it is different from counter-radicalization approaches
- Compare specific approaches and experiences of building resilience within communities and countering violent radicalization.
- Discuss whether and how they can be transposed to different settings (cities, countries)
- Learn about how violent religiously attributed radicalization emerges today in different parts of the world, understand why people are driven to engage in violent extremism and what resilience to it is
Who is the course for?
This course is for social workers, civil society actors and practitioners, educators, journalists, and interested citizens.
This course is part of the research project GREASE: Radicalisation Secularism and the Governance of Religious Diversity: Bringing together European and Asian Perspectives funded by the European Commission, Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under grant agreement number 770640.
The content of this MOOC represents only the views of the GREASE consortium and is its sole responsibility. The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains.
Originally posted 2022-01-06 08:00:56.