Get an in-depth understanding of the technology behind electric cars.
Join Email Learners
Follow the guide on landing page
About the course Electric Cars: Technology
Electric cars are more than a novel means of mobility. They have been recognized as an essential building block of the energy transition. Fulfilling their promise will imply a significant change in the technical, digital and social dimensions of transport and energy infrastructure. If you are interested in learning about the state-of-the-art technology behind electric cars, then this is the course for you!
This course focuses on the technology behind electric cars. You will explore the working principle of electric vehicles, delve into the key roles played by motors and power electronics, learn about battery technology, EV charging, smart charging and about future trends in the development of electric cars.
The course includes video lectures, presentations and exercises, which are all illustrated with real-world case studies from projects that were implemented in the Netherlands. This includes Lightyear One EV, the Carver EV, ABB EV charging infrastructure and the Vattenfall solar race team.
This course was co-developed by Dutch Innovation Centre for Electric Road Transport (Dutch-INCERT) and TU Delft and is taught by experts from both the industry and academia, who share their knowledge and insights.
Join the course and be prepared for the upcoming developments amid the transition to electric vehicles!
What you’ll learn
- Operation principle of electric cars
- Motors and power electronics in an electric cars
- Battery technology
- Relevant charging infrastructure technologies and innovations, such as smart charging
- Future technology for EVs such as wireless charging and solar EVs
Week 1: How does an EV work?
- Comparing ICE and Electric Vehicles
- Sizing the EV Powertrain
- Well-to-wheel emissions of EVs
- Regenerative braking
- Case study: Carver EV
- Case study: Lightyear One EV
Week 2: Battery Technology for EVs
- Electric machines
- Variable frequency drives
- Speed control of machines
- Power electronic in an electric car
- Storage technologies for EV
- Battery working principles & Battery losses
- Li-ion batteries
- Battery pack and battery management system
- Battery production and reuse
- Case study: Carver EV battery
- Case study: Lightyear EV battery
Week 3. Charging Technology of EVs
- AC charging – Type 1,2,3
- DC charging – CHAdeMO, Tesla, CCS, GB/T
- Fast charging and its limitations
- Smart charging and applications
- Vehicle to grid (V2G) technology
- Case study: ABB
Week 4. Future trends in electric cars
- Wireless charging of EV
- On-road charging of EV
- Battery swap technology
- Autonomous driving
- Charging EVs from renewables
- Case study: Vattenfall solar car team