Learn the construction and style adaptations of trousers for men and women, from a design and creation perspective, completing the course with your own designed, and made to measure finished trouser sample.
Join Email Learners
Follow the guide on landing page
About this course
Designing and creating trousers will teach learners how to design and make trousers for men and women, by recording key body measurements, developing the ability to create unique designs, and made to measure patterns to create unique garments.
Learners will understand how to record body measurements used to create trousers for men and women, and develop the knowledge and skills to adapt the basic blocks into unique designs, with activities to create different waistbands, pockets, openings, and different trouser shapes and designs. Learners will develop the skills to create trouser patterns, and adapt patterns into individual designs; creating specification sheets for commercial patterns and manufacturing. With tutorials in pattern making and sewing techniques, learners will develop the skills to hand or machine sew garments to fit their own body shape, developing the skills and knowledge to manufacture clothing, including fit analysis, and adjusting the fit of clothing to specific body shapes and size. Gaining valuable knowledge in the art of made to measure clothing, and how to obtain a perfect fit of a garment. The skills obtained from the technical creation side of the course will give learners the understanding of garment details and components, and provide the foundation to design a whole range of different trouser designs, leg lengths, widths, pocket styles and fabrics used in different casual and tailored looks.
This course will prepare learners for a career within the fashion industry, gaining a foundation of knowledge to complete an undergraduate programme, or work within the fashion industry as a designer, pattern cutter, merchandiser or fit technologist. They will understand how to make patterns, sew garments, fit to a person and design skills in creating trousers to specific body shapes. The knowledge and skills obtained in this course will provide a foundation of core abilities, which are used within the fashion industry.
What you’ll learn
- How to use body measurements to make made to measure clothing
- How to make patterns for specific garments
- How to assemble garments
- The history of fashionable trouser designs
- How to design fashion garments
- How to create made to measure trousers
- Week 1 – Understand how to record body measurements used to create trousers
- Week 2 – Create a trouser block made from measurements, along with sewing a fitting sample, and completing a fit analysis
- Week 3 – Develop trouser adaptations; waist finishes, fly front opening, and pocket styles and designs. Along with educational content on fabrics that work for fashion garments.
- Week 4&5 – Gain an appreciation of the history of designer trousers and develop the skills to design a unique range of trousers using a template. Taking one trouser design, completing the industry specification sheet for production, creating the pattern and sewing a finished sample.
Originally posted 2022-01-19 13:28:14.