Learn the construction and style adaptations of skirts from a design and creation perspective, completing the course with your own design, and made to measure finished skirt sample.
Join Email Learners
Follow the guide on landing page
About this course
Designing and creating skirts will teach learners how to design and make clothing by recording measurements from a person, and creating unique designs and made to measure garments.
Learners will understand how to record body measurements used to create skirts, and develop the knowledge and skills to adapt the basic blocks into unique designs, with activities to create different waistbands, pockets, openings, pleats, gathers and different skirt shapes and designs. Learners will develop the skills to create skirt patterns, adapt patterns to individual designs by use of fullness and manipulation techniques, and create specification sheets for commercial patterns and manufacturing. With tutorials in pattern making and sewing techniques, learners will develop the skills to hand or machine sew garments to fit their own body shape, to develop the skills and knowledge to manufacture clothing, including fit analysis and adjusting the fit of clothing to fit the body shape and size. Gaining valuable knowledge in the art of made to measure clothing, and how to obtain a perfect fit of a garment.
Learners will gain an appreciation of the history of design, fashion styles and design elements, to be able to design their own unique range of skirts for a specific body shape and size.
This course will prepare learners for a career within the fashion industry, gaining a foundation of knowledge to complete an undergraduate programme, or work within the fashion industry as a designer, pattern cutter, merchandiser or fit technologist. The skills obtained in this course will provide a foundation of core skills used within the fashion industry.
What you’ll learn
- How to use body measurements to make made to measure clothing
- How to make patterns for specific garments
- How to assemble garments
- The history of fashionable skirt designs
- How to design fashion garments
- Week 1 – Understand how to record body measurements used to create skirts
- Week 2 – Create a skirt block made from measurements, along with sewing a fitting sample and completing a fit analysis
- Week 3 – Develop skirt adaptations; waist finishes, pockets, lengths, widths and fullness techniques. Along with educational content on fabrics which work for fashion garments.
- Week 4&5 – Gain appreciation of the history of designer skirts and develop the skills to design a unique range of skirts using a template. Taking one skirt design and completing the industry specification sheet for production, creating the pattern and sewing a finished sample.
Originally posted 2022-01-19 13:18:12.